Resources for career exploration
- The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology hosts complimentary webinars. You can find presentations from Bill Lindstaedt, an author of myIDP and a Primary Investigator for the MIND program on the ASBMB website. http://www.asbmb.org/webinars/
FAQ from Bill Lindstaedt's presentation can be downloaded
- "Life After UCSF; Plan Your Future" A column written by MIND alumnus Lindsey Jones for Synapse, UCSF's newspaper, describing how MIND jump-started her career exploration process.
- "How to build a better PhD" A Nature Jobs article, featuring MIND alumnus Joanna Kelementowicz ( a former postdoc now employed in industry) discussing how the MIND Program taught her what practical skills were needed for her career of interest.
- "Is there life outside of academia? UCSF MIND Program helps graduate students and postdocs break into 'alternative' career fields" A UCSF Synapse article written by MIND alumnus Mayya Shveygert (a former UCSF postdoc who is now employed in medical writing), explaining the goals of the BEST consortium, and how the MIND Program at UCSF works towards improving outcomes for biomedical trainees.
- "The Career Change: What can Departments do to Help?" A Chronicale Vitae article interviewing Fatimah Williams Castro, discussing how institutions need to expand the career development opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars, and citing the BEST constorium's efforts in this area.
- "Making the Most of School" An article in The Scientist describing the BEST programs, including UCSF's MIND Program.
- "BayBio Institute Partners With UCSF Motivating INformed Decisions (MIND) Program" An article describing th epartnership with the BayBio Institute and the MIND Program.
- PLOS Podcast interview with MIND Program Director Liz Silva. A podcast about the postdoc crisis facing academia today, and how the MIND program aims to solve this problem.
- Reddit Science AMA with UCSF and MIND leaders. A summary of a Reddit live chat, including MIND leaders Bill Lindstaedt and Liz Silva, answering questions about how biomedical scientists can prepare for the job market.
- "Transferable skills: Seek development opportunities" Nature Jobs "Ask the Expert" with MIND Program Director Liz Silva answering online questions about developing the professional skills for careers outside of academica.
- "Leaving Academia: Do's and Dont's" Nature Jobs "Ask the Expert" with MIND Program Director Liz Silva answering online questions about developing the professional skills for careers outside of academica.
- "Ask the Expert: Meet Elizabeth Silva" Nature Jobs "Ask the Expert" with MIND Program Director Liz Silva answering online questions about developing the professional skills for careers outside of academica.
- "Career transitions: Increased support" A Nature Jobs podcast about how research institutions, funding bodies, and non-profits create resources to suppport researchers with their careers inside and outside academia. Featuring MIND Co-PI Jennie Dorman speaking about the MIND Program.
- "Training: Career bank" A Nature JObs article describing the former MINDBank database. These resources are currently being merged with UCSFConnect
- "Yes, you can attend that career event, says the U.S. government" MIND PI Bill Lindstaedt quoted in a Science Careers article discussing the BEST program.
- "MIND Your Career" A UCSF Synapse article describing the goals of the UCSF MIND Program for biomedical PhDs.
Future resources will include collaborations with other institutions, as well as other UCSF outreach efforts.